UPDATED: Honor our Vietnam Veterans
Our annual event honors those who served in Vietnam, remembers those who made the ultimate sacrifice, and connects younger veterans and supporters to the legacy of our Vietnam veterans.
- Location confirmed for the Name Reading; sign-up form now available
- Special honorees at our Wreath Ceremony
- More details on the Tribute March
Saturday, March 24, 2018
* * *
8:30am – 10:30am
From Korean War Veterans Plaza/Cadman Plaza (Brooklyn) to Vietnam Veterans Plaza (Lower Manhattan)
We invite you to join us for our first annual Vietnam Veterans Day Tribute March!
The purpose of this new event is to encourage our younger veterans to embrace Vietnam Veterans Day so that it will continue to be a meaningful commemoration of those who served and sacrificed in Vietnam, for years to come.
The Tribute March will retrace the route of the 1985 Welcome Home Parade that celebrated the dedication of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial at 55 Water Street. We encourage veterans of all eras, family members and supporters to join us; we offer four options for participation:
- You can join us for the entire 3.5 mile route (From Cadman Plaza to Vietnam Veterans Plaza, over the Brooklyn Bridge)
- You can join our marchers at City Hall Park as they come off the Brooklyn Bridge (1.2 miles)
- You can join the last leg of the march, from our Name Reading location at the Church of our Lady of the Holy Rosary, 7 State Street, NY, NY 10004 (0.25 mile). (Changed from Bowling Green/Charging Bull)
- You can welcome our marchers to Vietnam Veterans Plaza at the conclusion of the march.
We ask that all participants realistically assess their ability to complete the march (or the shorter segments described above). Register here.
We are discussing a motorcycle ride component with our friends in the veterans’ motorcycle club community; check back soon for more details, or stay tuned on Facebook.
After we reach Vietnam Veterans Plaza, we will be joined by participants and guests from our morning Name Reading, and then conduct our annual Wreath Laying Ceremony at the memorial wall (see below).
Join us for this first annual event, and help us lay a foundation for years to come!
* * *
READING OF NAMES OF THE FALLEN
8:30 – 10:30am
Church of Our Lady of the Rosary – Seton Shrine
7 State Street, New York, NY 10004
Reading of the names of the 1,741 New Yorkers who lost their lives in the Vietnam War, as well as those who died in Iraq, Afghanistan and other post-9/11 operations. The name reader registration form is now available.
* * *
WREATH LAYING CEREMONY
11:00 – 11:45 am
Vietnam Veterans Plaza
55 Water Street, New York, NY 10041
Our annual wreath laying at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial wall. This year we will be honoring legendary combat journalist Joe Galloway with the Patrick L Gualtieri Service to Vietnam Veterans Award! Learn more