The United War Veterans Council (UWVC) has developed a unique Veterans Sustainability program which helps generate funds for our organization and serves our veterans, while providing additional benefits for our communities and our environment.
This program includes:
- United War Veterans Recycling – The largest recycling program of its kind in the greater New York area, collected more than 12.5 million pounds of clothing and household goods in 2015, working with a private sector partner to sell or otherwise re-use the material collected.
Our program is a self-sustaining model that generates funds to support our work for veterans. In addition, it:
- Helps the environment by keeping material out of landfills;
- Saves taxpayers and municipalities money in disposal costs;
- Allows donors to take a tax deduction for donations of clothing and household goods.
- Employment – We are working with our recycling partner to recruit, hire and train veterans.
- Employment/Interview presentation – We offer vouchers for veterans in need to purchase suits or other appropriate workplace attire.
- Sustainability training – We are organizing seminars that provide veterans with 21st century job skills through education in “green” business practices.