Today’s 11 Questions features our own Bonita Rodriguez! This Portland, Oregon native joined the Marine Corps in 2011, serving for four years. Bonita attended Pace University, and receiving the Student Veteran of the Year award from Student Veterans of America earlier this year. She now works for NBC Universal, and also helps us keep our social media presence up to date and on point!
- WHY DID YOU JOIN THE MILITARY?
Various reasons: schooling benefits, September 11, 2001, people telling me a girl can’t enlist and it’s only for men…
- DID YOU HAVE VETERANS IN YOUR FAMILY?
I sure do! I have some bad*ss family members that served in the Marines, as well as other branches. I didn’t know of this until I was out of the military… I did have the opportunity of meeting one of my cousins that served in the Marines in person when I worked in California last year. It was an unforgettable feeling knowing another female family member was also in the Marines.
- WHERE DID YOU ENLIST?
- WHAT WAS YOUR PRIMARY MOS/RATING?
(0111) Administration Specialist
- DO YOU REMEMBER THE NAME OF YOUR FIRST DRILL INSTRUCTOR?
I don’t know about the first drill instructor but, I do remember the one that stuck her boot on my back and started pouring water on me and underneath my hands (I was “voluntarily” doing push-ups). She ended up being one of my favorite drill instructors.
- WHAT WAS THE WORST THING YOU ATE IN THE MILITARY?
Dirt. Wet dirt. That’s all I can say.
- WHAT WAS YOUR MOST MEMORABLE DAY IN THE MILITARY?
Receiving the eagle, globe and anchor.
- IF YOU COULD GO BACK TO THE DAY YOU GOT OUT OF THE MILITARY, WHAT WOULD YOU TELL YOUR YOUNGER SELF?
“Stay positive and don’t take sh*t so seriously. Everything will work out on its own.” This is vague but it’s something that I definitely needed when I was transitioning out and trying to survive New York on my own for the first time.
- DID YOU HAVE ANY VETERAN MENTORS?
I have had a few mentors along the way, and without them I wouldn’t be the person I am now.
- WHAT WAS YOUR PROUDEST MOMENT AS A VETERAN?
Being presented the Student Veteran of the Year award.
- WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE/LEAST FAVORITE MILITARY THEMED MOVIES?
I can’t pick my favorite/least favorite but I always end up re-watching Full Metal Jacket.