For this round of 11/11-themed 11 QUESTIONS we turn to Army veteran Lucy Del Gaudio.
Lucy was born and raised in New Jersey. She was in the US Army from 1990-1998, including service in support of Operation Desert Storm/Desert Shield. She is currently the Consulting Manager – Diversity for Prudential Diversity, Inclusion and Impact Department.
Lucy stays engaged in various causes, and has been awarded the 2019 Points of Light (Gold) and Prudential’s Employee Volunteer of the Year for her commitment to service. She is active with the Oscar Mike Foundation and is also the current NJ SoS Veterans Stakeholders Women’s Subcommittee Co-Chair.
* * * *
1. WHY DID YOU JOIN THE MILITARY?
My dad became seriously ill when I was a freshman in college (art school). When he passed away, my family couldn’t afford two daughters in college. I chose to find another way to pay for college.
2. DID YOU HAVE VETERANS IN YOUR FAMILY?
Yes, my two older brothers. My brother Hector is a veteran of the Army and my brother Camilo is a veteran of the Marines.
3. WHERE DID YOU ENLIST?
The Boogie Down Bronx. My brother Hector was my recruiter.
4. WHAT WAS YOUR PRIMARY MOS?
98H Morse Code Inceptor and then I became a 75B – Personnel Administration Specialist
5. DO YOU REMEMBER THE NAME OF YOUR FIRST DRILL INSTRUCTOR?
SSG Williams. Short s* of a b* with a big mouth!
6. WHAT WAS THE WORST THING YOU ATE IN THE MILITARY?
Chicken Chow Mein MRE! Gross!
7. WHAT WAS YOUR MOST MEMORABLE DAY IN THE MILITARY?
Graduating Basic Training! I was a bit of a Private Benjamin.
8. IF YOU COULD GO BACK TO THE DAY YOU GOT OUT OF THE MILITARY, WHAT WOULD YOU TELL YOUR YOUNGER SELF?
The NJ Turnpike is not the German Autobahn
9. DID YOU HAVE ANY VETERAN MENTORS?
Yes. I’m grateful for all my mentors. Especially the strong women mentors. My two biggest mentors are Sue Fulton and Phyllis Wilson.
10. WHAT IS YOUR PROUDEST MOMENT AS A VETERAN?
Last year, I was part of the team that got New Jersey to pass the signing at June 12th as Women’s Veterans Appreciation Day. New Jersey was the 8th State in the country.
11. WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE/LEAST FAVORITE MILITARY THEMED MOVIES?
Favorites – The Deer Hunter, Full Metal Jacket, and Officer and a Gentleman. Least – Jarheads